Phone : 0418 278 012 

Email: airscape@tpg.com.au



Your phone number (not required)


Weightshift microlights – often called “trikes” – look a little like powered hang-gliders. For your first lesson or Trial Flight you will be in the passenger seat (the back seat if you like) but you’ll be able to fly the aircraft from there and get your first feel of the controls and how they work.

By the second lesson you can be in the front seat with the instructor safely behind you able to take full control at any time.



Ultralights – called “3-axis” in the biz – are slightly smaller but perfectly formed aeroplanes. However, they have much, much better visibility, are cheaper and often easier to fly, and are a lot more fun.

Peter Wilson and daughter DainaThey are called “three-axis” because they use the same type of up-down/left-right/front-back control column or joystick as heavier aircraft. (Hours spent training for your Pilot Certificate in a 3-axis aircraft may count towards a Private Pilot Licence.)

Both types of aircraft are highly engineered to handle conditions well above what you are ever likely to encounter – both the aeroplane and the engine. For example, they are certified to withstand more relative load factor (more g-force) than most civilian production aeroplanes! That’s why Peter Wilson is confident and comfortable taking his precious daughter Daina flying with him.




So What do you do next?


Your first step is probably to take a Trial Introductory Flight (the famous “TIF”). This allows you to sit in the back seat, soak in the freedom of flight and get a real feeling for the ultimate experience. You’ll know by the end of this flight whether you want to continue (it’s so much fun almost everybody does). If you decide to continue, this TIF is your first official lesson.



Get your Student Pilot CertificateThere’s a bit of paperwork to do; not nearly as much – or as much delay – as you need for the General Aviation PPL though.



Start learning.

You can start your lessons virtually straight away. There’s some theory to learn. You can do that at the same time as you’re learning to fly.



Reach the required standard.

Regulations require a minimum of 20hrs of instruction before the issue of your Pilot Certificate. (That’s half the minimum hours required to get an ordinary pilot licence.)

Of those 20 hours five must to be solo.

If you already have a General Aviation Licence or have done some GA training those hours may count towards your licence and significantly reduce the hours and the cost as long as you can demonstrate your ability to the required level.


The cost of lessons is $180 per hour. (That’s not much more than half the cost of training for an ordinary pilot licence.)

You are only charged for how much you fly. Your lessons are charged pro rata. That is, one hour = $180, half an hour = $90, 6 minutes (.1 of an hour) = $18 and so on.

That’s a lot less than learning to fly an ordinary aeroplane and it takes less than half the time to get your wings and have the ultimate freedom to go where you want to go.



Do a theory test and a flight test. 



Receive your Pilot Certificate



Do more flying.

You need additional qualifications and experience to use a radio, carry passengers and travel more than 25 Nautical Miles from your take-off point. The great thing is that it’s all flying so you’ll love the learning.


So why not try a Trial Flight? Have a look, get the feeling, come alive! You can use our contact form over on the right.


If you would like to read more in detail about learning to fly microlights and ultralights Recreational Aviation Australia has some good information.


Here is what one of our successful students has said:

If anybody wants a fantastic experience or even a hobby, then this is it! There is really no other way you can feel more like a bird! Unlike a plane, you can see the sights above, below and ALL around you while the wind is hitting your face. Pete is such a wonderful, funny, knowledgeable teacher and person.

Cheers for the great times Pete! They’re not over yet!